Yogurt Cake with Orange and Lemon Zest
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar
- 1/4 lb. (125 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) homemade plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Zest of two lemons
- Zest of one big orange
- 2 cups (500 ml) unbleached flour
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. (1.25 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) white chocolate, in pieces
- 3/8 lb. (170 g) Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) homemade yogurt
- 3/4 tsp. (3.75 ml) white vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) lemon juice
- Choice of toppings: fruit, citrus zest, fresh mint
- 1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- 2) In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream sugar and butter. Stir in yogurt, oil, eggs and zests, and mix.
- 3) Gradually add, in alternation, flour, baking powder and salt. Pour into a 9-inch (23 cm) buttered and floured hinge pan.
- 4) Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- 5) Meanwhile, place cream cheese and yogurt into the bowl of the stand mixer and whip. Remove the bowl and set aside.
- 6) Place chocolate in a microwaveable bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir and continue cooking for another 30 seconds. Stir and heat for 30 seconds again, if necessary.
- 7) Pour melted chocolate into yogurt mixture and add vanilla and lemon juice. Mix well and refrigerate.
- 8) To serve, ice the cake and decorate with the toppings of your choice.
NOTE: The cake will keep in the refrigerator up to 4 or 5 days.