Yogurt and kefir based easy recipes.
How to make yogurt and kefir
Quick and easy
Discover step-by-step how to make your own yogurt and kefir with your choice of milk. Served plain, with fruits or used as an ingredient, homemade yogurts and kefirs will delight both the gourmets and those who pay special attention to their diet.
Please note that the higher the fat percentage in the milk you will use the better (thicker) the texture will be. Moreover, if you exceed the recommended incubation period, the texture will be thicker and the taste more acidulated.
Non-dairy yogurt starter (New!)
By milk type
- Regular yogurt with refrigerated cow milk, goat milk or soy beverage*
- Regular yogurt with asepticized/Tetra Pak (UHT process) cow milk, goat milk or soy beverage*
- Regular yogurt with Yogourmet skim milk powder
- Probiotic yogurt with refrigerated cow milk, goat milk or soy beverage*
- Probiotic yogurt with asepticized/Tetra Pak (UHT process) cow milk, goat milk or soy beverage*
- Probiotic yogurt with Yogourmet skim milk powder
- Kefir with refrigerated cow milk, goat milk or soy beverage*
- Kefir with asepticized/Tetra Pak (UHT process) cow milk, goat milk or soy beverage*
- Kefir with Yogourmet skim milk powder
* Compatible soy beverages have been tested and approved by our laboratory, see soy beverages list for more information.
Thicker yogurt/Greek yogurt
To produce an even thicker yogurt you have three options:
A) Add a pouch (7 g, 1/4 oz, 3/4 - 1 tbsp) of unflavoured gelatin. Mix the gelatin into the cold milk until it has dissolved, then follow each step of the yogurt making procedure from step 1.
B) Adding milk powder will also produce thicker consistency yogurt. Add 1/2 cup of milk powder per litre of cooled milk, stir well to dissolve the milk powder.
C) You can also strain the yogurt made without added milk powder neither gelatin, once it has been cooled down to stop the incubation. Use a suspended cotton bag above a container or a cheesecloth at the bottom of a colander, still above a container. If you've choose the option with the colander it is recommended to cover everything to prevent strained yogurt from drying. Let strain in the fridge for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.